So schools and daycares have two choices: They can alert with an alarm or a detection system that there's a situation occurring and can safely, and quickly, get people out.
Should a carbon monoxide exposure happen at a school with detection, it's likely a minimal health risk – as they will be able to get occupants into fresh air quickly, with the least amount of health injuries.
But many schools, if not most, are choosing to not have an alarm nor a detection system, because they're not required to.
And should a carbon monoxide exposure happen at that school, it's often an emergency medical intervention – because the exposure is often allowed to reach critical levels – resulting in long-term health issues, organ damage or death.
Nikki James Zellner, activist, founder and mom
IS CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING REALLY AN ISSUE IN SCHOOLS?
Here's a downloadable PDF of documented CO poisoning in schools I can find online covered by the Press as early as 2005. CO exposure is severely underreported due to lack of hardwired connection to emergency authorities, not always covered by the press, as well as its general ability to mimic other illnesses.